Friday 29 January 2021

Allstar Link Node Build - Part 5

Welcome to part 5 of my Allstar Link node build. 

If you read part four of my node build you probably arrived here expecting to read a blog post covering the grand boxing up of the project!  Fear not, this is just a short interlude and the boxing up will now commence in part 6.

I need to vent a little on my concerns regarding the "Buck Converter Module" that is commonly used in node builds. The idea of using a buck converter to regulate a DC supply voltage is fine and I intend doing this myself but there is a caveat! 

If you are not aware what a buck converter is it is a class of switched mode power supply,  they are highly efficient when compared to traditional linear voltage regulators.

The buck converter module that I will be referring to is shown below and can be purchased from ebay, AliExpress and many other online sources for less than £2. 

Allstar Link Node Build
These modules are sold as being equipped with an LM2596 switching regulator,  a device from the Texas Instruments portfolio of power management devices.

Fake LM2596

When is an LM2596 not an LM2596 ?

The short answer to this is when it's a counterfeit part such as a re-badged or reject component.

Counterfeit parts often emerge from the Far East and typically from China. The fake parts are inferior in specification, substandard and liable to malfunction causing damage to other electronic parts & circuits, not to mention the potential safety risk they pose.

Submission of evidence

I have built several nodes as per my blog documentation and during the first build I had an issue where the audio being transmitted from the node was rather choppy,  my initial thought was that the buck converter module powering the Baofeng radio maybe faulty. 

The buck converter module was not the cause of the problem, it was however tracked down to a 3COM switch on my home network that had developed a fault and was dropping packets of data like they were going out of fashion! 

During my fault finding of the problem I looked at the output from the buck converter on my Oscilloscope,  the DC waveform looked good but there was some noise/ripple on the trace.  On close inspection of the AC signal content I could see evidence of the switching waveform at a frequency of 51.02kHz

I was interested to look at the manufactures specification data to compare my own findings so I downloaded the PDF data sheet from Texas Instruments. The documentation states that sawtooth ripple at the switching frequency should be within 0.5 to 3% of the output voltage.

Here are the results from my own testing, the results do not stack up with the manufacturers data or specifications! 

 

INPUT VOLTAGE

OUTPUT VOLTAGE

LOAD

MEASURED RIPPLE

12 Volts

5 Volts

NONE

43mV @ no load

12 Volts

5 Volts

18R 2Watt

300mV @ 277mA load

 

Also the switching frequency of 51.02 kHz is not that of a genuine LM2596, the manufactures data sheet clearly states that the switching frequency of the LM2596 is nominally 150 kHz,  no less than 110kHz & no more than 173kHz.

Conclusion

Fake LM2596


Summing up

There is no doubt whatsoever that the switching device used on the aforementioned  buck converters is not an LM2596 part.  These fake devices do not meet the specifications of the genuine part and should therefore be avoided! 

Being a fake device means they are very much an unknown quantity so tolerances and ratings can not be determined or trusted.

Built in protection like thermal shutdown & power limiting may not be present in these fake devices so there is a potential risk that they could fail with consequence. 

If the main switching transistor(s) on the silicon substrate go short circuit you will end up with the full input voltage present at the output which in turn is likely to cause failure to subsequent devices powered from the module.

Most Allstar nodes are built around a Raspberry PI mini computer board with a power supply requirement of 5 volts.  If the node box is powered from say a 12 volt supply then reduced down to 5 volts with a fake buck converter,  failure is likely to destroy the node and possibly create a hazardous risk.

For my node builds I decided to power everything from 5 volts using a conservatively rated Raspberry PI 4 power supply. The PSUs is rated to 3 Amps and provides a level of reassurance that should the node or the power supply itself fail all the needed protection measures are in place,  I can keep my node powered up 24/7 with complete peace of mind.

Safety in numbers

If you have built or are considering building a node and powering it from a buck converter you should at least consider adding some protection after the module before it feeds the Raspberry PI, node radio and any other electronics.  

As a minimum I would suggest adding a fuse and possibly some over voltage protection such as a crowbar circuit, especially if using the aforementioned fake modules.

If you have already built a node with a fake module consider replacing the so called LM2596 with a genuine component but also be mindful that other components on the PCB may also be fake or of poor quality so replace those with component types specified in the manufacturers data sheet. I suspect the excessive ripple I measured is not only down to the fake LM2596 but also other inferior components used.

If you want complete peace of mind do not use a buck converter and instead  power your node from 5 Volts using a genuine Raspberry PI plugin power supply.

Disclaimer

All information provided is based on my own testing and research. Views expressed & opinions formed are my own and the information provided is made available with a view to being useful and informative.

The information provided does not constitute any responsibility,  liability or warranty. 

I can not confirm or imply as to whether the device referred to as "fake LM2596" is or is not fit for purpose.

EndNote

Please feel free to post comments on my article however  I am not interested in messages telling me that your fake buck converter works fine, facts are facts and the device is fake, it does not perform or conform to the genuine component!


Well that is it for this installment, In part six we get back on track covering the boxing up of the Allstar Link Node project.

 
Until next time... 
 
73's From Andy G6LBQ
Its all About The Radio Ga Ga...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments on the blog content, however the blog has been subject to idiots trying to use the comments facility as a means to post advertisements & spam so all comments are now approved and moderated.